Sunday, January 9, 2011

Changes

I have ALWAYS wanted to be a foster parent.  The thought of precious kids with no one to love them breaks my heart.   Long before we had kids I would casually mention it to Ty from time to time.  His response…No way.  Don’t get me wrong.  It’s not that he doesn’t feel bad for kids in bad situations.  For 1:  He couldn’t stand the thought of sending one back to a horrible situation and 2:  He only wanted kids of our own.  Years went by and it wasn’t mentioned much.  Until the last year or so.  He still had the same response.  It was so heavy on my heart that I knew we were supposed to embark on this journey.  I began praying that God would either take the desire away from me or change Ty’s heart.  One day last summer he came to me and said “I think we need to check into fostering.”  I immediately had that butterflies in the stomach, over the moon feeling.  A prayer answered.   We put our application in (just to get some more information) last September and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  After a few phone calls, we had a case worker.  Yet again, she would never return messages.  We thought it just wasn’t the right time so we prayed that when God was ready, he would have someone get in contact with us.  Two days later we received a phone call!  I know I’m probably seeming VERY IMPATIENT, but I hate the unknown.  I’m a planner and I wanted to at least know when the classes would be starting.  As of now, we are looking at March before we can even start the process.  But we’re okay with that!  We want Madox to be at least a year old.  Just getting through the whole application/home study process will be comforting.  Right now, we only want to add 1 more to our zoo, but if you know me, I could never turn a child down!  God knows the plans he has for our family, and all we can do is Trust and Obey.  He won’t give us anything we can’t handle!  And since no post is complete without a picture….here is our sweet Madox!

Madox Owl 

Holli

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Praying for you guys and this change! You guys are amazing! And of course (again) this is the cutest picture! ;)

Jenn said...

I have always wanted to foster as well! Jeremey and I just sent for our application to begin our process. So glad you are embarking on this journey as well!

JAMIE said...

I love this post. I've always had that same feeling in my heart. I feel like one day, maybe when I'm done having kids of my own, that I might either foster or adopt. And for some strange reason, I am more interested in the idea of adopting a child instead of a baby. Who knows what will ever happen, but I am really drawn to that feeling for some reason. I will be excited to see where this process takes you and your family!

Mika Nichole Hooper said...

I am so happy for you guys! Jeremy and I both think that fostering/adopting is one of the greatest things you can do with your life. James 1:27 "Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." That is what "religion" is suppose to be...taking care of orphans and widows...setting ourselves apart from the world. But, let me be real with you and say that it is tough. So, I can offer you my ear and my friendship as you walk through this process. Jeremy and I are here for you guys if you need us!

Penelope said...

Being a planner has it's downsides unless of course you are willing to be flexible and change those plans when you receive " the call". (speaking from experience)

But it sure comes in handy for all those appointments you have to have. (dental exam for 6 month old - seriously?)